translation: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (trans-lā'shun, tranz-), [key]
- the rendering of something into another language or into one's own from another language.
- a version of such a rendering: a new translation of Plato.
- change or conversion to another form, appearance, etc.; transformation: a swift translation of thought into action.
- the act or process of translating.
- the state of being translated.
- motion in which all particles of a body move with the same velocity along parallel paths.
- the retransmitting or forwarding of a message, as by relay.
- a function obtained from a given function by adding the same constant to each value of the variable of the given function and moving the graph of the function a constant distance to the right or left.
- a transformation in which every point of a geometric figure is moved the same distance in the same direction.
- the process by which a messenger RNA molecule specifies the linear sequence of amino acids on a ribosome for protein synthesis. Cf.
- translation (Thesaurus)