Meaning of trammel
Pronunciation: (tram'ul), [key]
— n., v., -meled, -mel•ing -melled, -mel•ling.
- Usually,a hindrance or impediment to free action; restraint: the trammels of custom.
- an instrument for drawing ellipses.
- Also calleda device used to align or adjust parts of a machine.
- a fowling net.
- a contrivance hung in a fireplace to support pots or kettles over the fire.
- a fetter or shackle, esp. one used in training a horse to amble.
- to involve or hold in trammels; restrain.
- to catch or entangle in or as in a net.
- trammel (Thesaurus)