tour: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (toor), [key]
- a traveling around from place to place.
- a long journey including the visiting of a number of places in sequence, esp. with an organized group led by a guide.
- a brief trip through a place, as a building or a site, in order to view or inspect it: The visiting prime minister was given a tour of the chemical plant.
- a journey from town to town to fulfill engagements, as by a theatrical company or an entertainer: to go on tour; a European concert tour.
- a period of duty at one place or in one job.
- to travel from place to place.
- to travel from town to town fulfilling engagements.
- to travel through (a place).
- to send or take (a theatrical company, its production, etc.) from town to town.
- to guide (someone) on a tour: He toured us through the chateaus of the Loire Valley.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.