Meaning of tortoiseshell
Pronunciation: (tôr'tus-shel"), [key]
- a horny substance of a mottled brown and yellow coloration, composing the laminae that cover the inner body plates of the carapace of a hawksbill turtle, used for making combs and ornamental articles, inlaying, etc.
- any synthetic substance made to look like natural tortoise shell.
- any of several nymphalid butterflies of the genus Nymphalis, asN. californica, having variegated markings of red, yellow, or orange on the wings. --
- mottled or variegated like tortoiseshell, esp. with yellow and brown and sometimes other colors.
- made of tortoiseshell.
- tortoiseshell (Thesaurus)