thumb: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (thum), [key]
- the short, thick, inner digit of the human hand, next to the forefinger.
- the corresponding digit in other animals; pollex.
- the part of a glove or mitten for containing this digit.
- an ovolo or echinus molding.
- awkward; clumsy; bungling: The visitor almost knocked over a vase and seemed to be all thumbs.
- a gesture or expression of dissent or disapproval: We turned thumbs down to that suggestion.
- a gesture or expression of assent or approval.
- under the power or influence of; subordinate to.
- to soil or wear with the thumbs in handling, as the pages of a book.
- to glance through (the pages of a book, leaflet, etc.) quickly.
- to play (a guitar or other instrument) with or as with the thumbs.
- (of a hitchhiker) to solicit or get (a ride) by pointing the thumb in the desired direction of travel.
- to put one's thumb to one's nose and extend the fingers as a crudely defiant or contemptuous gesture.
- to express defiance or contempt; dismiss or reject contemptuously.
- thumb (Thesaurus)