territory: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ter'i-tôr"ē, -tōr"ē), [key]
— pl. -ries.
- any tract of land; region or district.
- the land and waters belonging to or under the jurisdiction of a state, sovereign, etc.
- any separate tract of land belonging to a state.
- (often cap.)
- a region or district of the U.S. not admitted to the Union as a state but having its own legislature, with a governor and other officers appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate.
- some similar district elsewhere, as in Canada and Australia.
- a field or sphere of action, thought, etc.; domain or province of something.
- the region or district assigned to a representative, agent, or the like, as for making sales.
- the area that an animal defends against intruders, esp. of the same species.
- territory (Thesaurus)