Meaning of temperate
Pronunciation: (tem'pur-it, tem'prit), [key]
- moderate or self-restrained; not extreme in opinion, statement, etc.: a temperate response to an insulting challenge.
- moderate as regards indulgence of appetite or passion, esp. in the use of alcoholic liquors.
- not excessive in degree, as things, qualities, etc.
- moderate in respect to temperature; not subject to prolonged extremes of hot or cold weather.
- (of a virus) existing in infected host cells but rarely causing lysis.
- temperate (Thesaurus)