tell: Meaning and Definition of
— v., told, tell•ing.
- to give an account or narrative of; narrate; relate (a story, tale, etc.): to tell the story of Lincoln's childhood.
- to make known by speech or writing (a fact, news, information, etc.); communicate.
- to announce or proclaim.
- to utter (the truth, a lie, etc.).
- to express in words (thoughts, feelings, etc.).
- to reveal or divulge (something secret or private).
- to say plainly or positively: I cannot tell just what was done.
- to discern or recognize (a distant person or thing) so as to be able to identify or describe: Can you tell who that is over there?
- to distinguish; discriminate; ascertain: You could hardly tell the difference between them.
- to inform (a person) of something: He told me his name.
- to assure emphatically: I won't, I tell you!
- to bid, order, or command: Tell him to stop.
- to mention one after another, as in enumerating; count or set one by one or in exact amount: to tell the cattle in a herd; All told there were 17 if we are correct.
- to give an account or report: Tell me about your trip.
- to give evidence or be an indication: The ruined temples told of an ancient culture, long since passed from existence.
- to disclose something secret or private; inform; tattle: She knows who did it, but she won't tell.
- to say positively; determine; predict: Who can tell?
- to have force or effect; operate effectively: a contest in which every stroke tells.
- to produce a marked or severe effect: The strain was telling on his health.
- to talk or chat.
- to tell the complete, unadulterated truth; be forthright: He may be crude but he tells it like it is.
- It was about time that someone told him off.
- to separate from the whole and assign to a particular duty.
- Informal.to rebuke severely; scold:It was about time that someone told him off.
- to tattle on (someone).
- an artificial mound consisting of the accumulated remains of one or more ancient settlements (often used in Egypt and the Middle East as part of a place name).
- tell (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.