Synonyms of tell
- 1. Tell, William Tell
- usage: a Swiss patriot who lived in the early 14th century and who was renowned for his skill as an archer; according to legend an Austrian governor compelled him to shoot an apple from his son's head with his crossbow (which he did successfully without mishap)
- 1. state, say, tell, express, verbalize, verbalise, utter, give tongue to
- usage: express in words; "He said that he wanted to marry her"; "tell me what is bothering you"; "state your opinion"; "state your name"
- 2. tell, inform
- usage: let something be known; "Tell them that you will be late"
- 3. tell, narrate, recount, recite, inform
- usage: narrate or give a detailed account of; "Tell what happened"; "The father told a story to his child"
- 4. order, tell, enjoin, say, request
- usage: give instructions to or direct somebody to do something with authority; "I said to him to go home"; "She ordered him to do the shopping"; "The mother told the child to get dressed"
- 5. tell, guess, infer
- usage: discern or comprehend; "He could tell that she was unhappy"
- 6. assure, tell, affirm, verify, assert, avow, aver, swan, swear
- usage: inform positively and with certainty and confidence; "I tell you that man is a crook!"
- 7. tell, evidence, inform
- usage: give evidence; "he was telling on all his former colleague"
- 8. distinguish, separate, differentiate, secern, secernate, severalize, severalise, tell, tell apart, identify, place
- usage: mark as different; "We distinguish several kinds of maple"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of tell (Dictionary)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.