taboo: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tu-b', ta-), [key]
— adj., n., pl. v., -boos, -booed, -boo•ing.
- proscribed by society as improper or unacceptable: taboo words.
- (among the Polynesians and other peoples of the South Pacific) separated or set apart as sacred; forbidden for general use; placed under a prohibition or ban.
- a prohibition or interdiction of anything; exclusion from use or practice.
- (among the Polynesians and other peoples of the South Pacific)
- the system, practice, or act whereby things are set apart as sacred, forbidden for general use, or placed under a prohibition or interdiction.
- the condition of being so set apart, forbidden, or interdicted.
- exclusion from social relations; ostracism.
- to put under a taboo; prohibit or forbid.
- to ostracize (a person, group, etc.).
- taboo (Thesaurus)