- 1. taboo, tabu, bias, prejudice, preconception
- usage: a prejudice (especially in Polynesia and other South Pacific islands) that prohibits the use or mention of something because of its sacred nature
- 2. taboo, tabu, inhibition
- usage: an inhibition or ban resulting from social custom or emotional aversion
- 1. taboo, restrict
- usage: declare as sacred and forbidden
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. forbidden, out(predicate), prohibited, proscribed, taboo, tabu, verboten, impermissible (vs. permissible)
- usage: excluded from use or mention; "forbidden fruit"; "in our house dancing and playing cards were out"; "a taboo subject"
- 2. taboo, tabu, sacred (vs. profane)
- usage: forbidden to profane use especially in South Pacific islands
All rights reserved.
See also: taboo (Dictionary)