suspect: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (v.su-spekt'n.sus'pektadj.sus'pekt, su-spekt'), [key]
- to believe to be guilty, false, counterfeit, undesirable, defective, bad, etc., with little or no proof: to suspect a person of murder.
- to doubt or mistrust: I suspect his motives.
- to believe to be the case or to be likely or probable; surmise: I suspect his knowledge did not amount to much.
- to have some hint or foreknowledge of: I think she suspected the surprise.
- to believe something, esp. something evil or wrong, to be the case; have suspicion.
- a person who is suspected, esp. one suspected of a crime, offense, or the like.
- suspected; open to or under suspicion.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.