super: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (s'pur), [key]
- a superintendent, esp. of an apartment house.
- an article of a superior quality, grade, size, etc.
- (in beekeeping) the portion of a hive in which honey is stored.
- supercalendered paper.
- an additional image superimposed on the original video image: A super of the guest's name is included under the picture when the guest is introduced.
- of the highest degree, power, etc.
- of an extreme or excessive degree.
- very good; first-rate; excellent.
- (of measurement) superficial.
- very; extremely or excessively: super classy; a super large portion of food.
- a prefix occurring originally in loanwords from Latin, with the basic meaning “above, beyond.” Words formed withhave the following general senses: “to place or be placed above or over” (superimpose; supersede), “a thing placed over or added to another” (superscript; superstructure; supertax), “situated over” (superficial; superlunary) and, more figuratively, “an individual, thing, or property that exceeds customary norms or levels” (superalloy; superconductivity; superman; superstar), “an individual or thing larger, more powerful, or with wider application than others of its kind” (supercomputer; superhighway; superpower; supertanker), “exceeding the norms or limits of a given class” (superhuman; superplastic), “having the specified property to a great or excessive degree” (supercritical; superfine; supersensitive), “to subject to (a physical process) to an extreme degree or in an unusual way” (supercharge; supercool; supersaturate), “a category that embraces a number of lesser items of the specified kind” (superfamily; supergalaxy), “a chemical compound with a higher proportion than usual of a given constituent” (superphosphate).
- super (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.