Meaning of suit
Pronunciation: (st), [key]
- a set of clothing, armor, or the like, intended for wear together.
- a set of men's garments of the same color and fabric, consisting of trousers, a jacket, and sometimes a vest.
- a similarly matched set consisting of a skirt and jacket, and sometimes a topcoat or blouse, worn by women.
- any costume worn for some special activity: a running suit.
- a business executive.
- the act, the process, or an instance of suing in a court of law; legal prosecution; lawsuit.
- Spades were his long suit.
- one of the four sets or classes (spades, hearts, diamonds, and clubs) into which a common deck of playing cards is divided.
- the aggregate of cards belonging to one of these sets held in a player's hand at one time:Spades were his long suit.
- one of various sets or classes into which less common decks of cards are divided, as lances, hammers, etc., found in certain decks formerly used or used in fortune telling.
- suite (defs. 1–3, 5).
- the wooing or courting of a woman: She rejected his suit.
- the act of making a petition or an appeal.
- a petition, as to a person of rank or station.
- Also calleda complete group of sails for a boat.
- one of the seven classes into which a standard set of 28 dominoes may be divided by matching the numbers on half the face of each: a three suit contains the 3-blank, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 3-4, 3-5, and 3-6. Since each such suit contains one of each of the other possible suits, only one complete suit is available per game.
- The girl jumped over the fence, and her playmates followed suit.
- Cards.to play a card of the same suit as that led.
- to follow the example of another:The girl jumped over the fence, and her playmates followed suit.
- to make appropriate, adapt, or accommodate, as one thing to another: to suit the punishment to the crime.
- to be appropriate or becoming to: Blue suits you very well.
- to be or prove satisfactory, agreeable, or acceptable to; satisfy or please: The arrangements suit me.
- to provide with a suit, as of clothing or armor; clothe; array.
- to be appropriate or suitable; accord.
- to be satisfactory, agreeable, or acceptable.
- to dress in a uniform or special suit.
- suit (Thesaurus)