strap: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (strap), [key]
— n., v., strapped, strap•ping.
- a narrow strip of flexible material, esp. leather, as for fastening or holding things together.
- a looped band by which an item may be held, pulled, lifted, etc., as a bootstrap or a ring that standing passengers may hold on to in a bus, subway, or the like.
- a strop for a razor.
- a long, narrow object or piece of something; strip; band.
- an ornamental strip or band.
- a shallow metal fitting surrounding and retaining other parts, as on the end of a rod. See diag. under
- strop (def. 2).
- to fasten or secure with a strap or straps.
- to fasten (a thing) around something in the manner of a strap.
- to sharpen on a strap or strop: to strap a razor.
- to beat or flog with a strap.
- strap (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.