Meaning of stool
Pronunciation: (stl), [key]
- a single seat on legs or a pedestal and without arms or a back.
- a short, low support on which to stand, step, kneel, or rest the feet while sitting.
- the stump, base, or root of a plant from which propagative organs are produced, as shoots for layering.
- the base of a plant that annually produces new stems or shoots.
- a cluster of shoots or stems springing up from such a base or from any root, or a single shoot or layer.
- a bird fastened to a pole or perch and used as a decoy.
- an artificial duck or other bird, usually made from wood, used as a decoy by hunters.
- a privy.
- the fecal matter evacuated at each movement of the bowels.
- the sill of a window. See diag. under
- a bishop's seat considered as symbolic of his authority; see.
- the sacred chair of certain African chiefs, symbolic of their kingship.
- to fail, through hesitation or indecision, to select either of two alternatives.
- to put forth shoots from the base or root, as a plant; form a stool.
- to turn informer; serve as a stool pigeon.
- stool (Thesaurus)