steer: Meaning and Definition of
- to guide the course of (something in motion) by a rudder, helm, wheel, etc.: to steer a bicycle.
- to follow or pursue (a particular course).
- to direct the course of; guide: I can steer you to the best restaurant in town.
- to direct the course of a vessel, vehicle, airplane, or the like, by the use of a rudder or other means.
- to pursue a course of action.
- (of a vessel, vehicle, airplane, etc.) to be steered or guided in a particular direction or manner.
- to stay away from purposely; avoid: She steered clear of any deep emotional involvements.
- a suggestion about a course of action; tip: He got a good steer about finding the right job.
— pl. steers, steer.
- a male bovine that is castrated before sexual maturity, esp. one raised for beef.
— v.t., v.i., n. Brit. Dial.
- steer (Thesaurus)