Meaning of sprout
Pronunciation: (sprout), [key]
- to begin to grow; shoot forth, as a plant from a seed.
- (of a seed or plant) to put forth buds or shoots.
- to develop or grow quickly: a boy awkwardly sprouting into manhood.
- to cause to sprout.
- to remove sprouts from: Sprout and boil the potatoes.
- a shoot of a plant.
- a new growth from a germinating seed, or from a rootstock, tuber, bud, or the like.
- something resembling or suggesting a sprout, as in growth.
- a young person; youth.
- the young shoots of alfalfa, soybeans, etc., eaten as a raw vegetable.
- SeeBrussels sprout.
- sprout (Thesaurus)