spirit: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (spir'it), [key]
- the principle of conscious life; the vital principle in humans, animating the body or mediating between body and soul.
- the incorporeal part of humans: present in spirit though absent in body.
- the soul regarded as separating from the body at death.
- conscious, incorporeal being, as opposed to matter: the world of spirit.
- a supernatural, incorporeal being, esp. one inhabiting a place, object, etc., or having a particular character: evil spirits.
- a fairy, sprite, or elf.
- an angel or demon.
- an attitude or principle that inspires, animates, or pervades thought, feeling, or action: the spirit of reform.
- (cap.) the divine influence as an agency working in the human heart.
- a divine, inspiring, or animating being or influence. Num. 11:25; Is. 32:15.
- (cap.) the third person of the Trinity; Holy Spirit.
- the soul or heart as the seat of feelings or sentiments, or as prompting to action: a man of broken spirit.
- feelings or mood with regard to exaltation or depression: low spirits; good spirits.
- excellent disposition or attitude in terms of vigor, courage, firmness of intent, etc.; mettle: That's the spirit!
- temper or disposition: meek in spirit.
- an individual as characterized by a given attitude, disposition, character, action, etc.: A few brave spirits remained to face the danger.
- the dominant tendency or character of anything: the spirit of the age.
- vigorous sense of membership in a group: college spirit.
- the general meaning or intent of a statement, document, etc. (opposed to letter): the spirit of the law.
- the essence or active principle of a substance as extracted in liquid form, esp. by distillation.
- Often,a strong distilled alcoholic liquor.
- a solution in alcohol of an essential or volatile principle; essence.
- any of certain subtle fluids formerly supposed to permeate the body.
- in low spirits; depressed: We were feeling out of spirits after so many days of rain.
- pertaining to something that works by burning alcoholic spirits: a spirit stove.
- of or pertaining to spiritualist bodies or activities.
- to animate with fresh ardor or courage; inspirit.
- to encourage; urge on or stir up, as to action.
- to carry off mysteriously or secretly (often fol. by away or off): His captors spirited him away.
- spirit (Thesaurus)