- 1. spirit, vital principle, life principle
- usage: the vital principle or animating force within living things
- 2. spirit, tone, feel, feeling, flavor, flavour, look, smell, atmosphere, ambiance, ambience
- usage: the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people; "the feel of the city excited him"; "a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"; "it had the smell of treason"
- 3. spirit, character, fiber, fibre
- usage: a fundamental emotional and activating principle determining one's character
- 4. spirit, disembodied spirit, spiritual being, supernatural being
- usage: any incorporeal supernatural being that can become visible (or audible) to human beings
- 5. emotional state, spirit, emotion
- usage: the state of a person's emotions (especially with regard to pleasure or dejection); "his emotional state depended on her opinion"; "he was in good spirits"; "his spirit rose"
- 6. intent, purport, spirit, meaning, significance, signification, import
- usage: the intended meaning of a communication
- 7. liveliness, life, spirit, sprightliness, animation, spiritedness, invigoration, brio, vivification
- usage: animation and energy in action or expression; "it was a heavy play and the actors tried in vain to give life to it"
- 8. heart, spirit, disposition, temperament
- usage: an inclination or tendency of a certain kind; "he had a change of heart"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. spirit, spirit up, inspirit, enliven, liven, liven up, invigorate, animate
- usage: infuse with spirit; "The company spirited him up"
All rights reserved.
See also: spirit (Dictionary)