speed: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (spēd), [key]
— n., v., sped speed•ed, speed•ing.
- rapidity in moving, going, traveling, proceeding, or performing; swiftness; celerity: the speed of light; the speed of sound.
- relative rapidity in moving, going, etc.; rate of motion or progress: full speed ahead.
- full, maximum, or optimum rate of motion: The car gets to speed in just nine seconds.
- a transmission gear ratio.
- Also calledfilm speed.the sensitivity of a film or paper to light, measured by an ASA or DIN index, which assigns low numbers to slow film and higher numbers to faster film.
- Also calledshutter speed.the length of time a shutter is opened to expose film.
- the largest opening at which a lens can be used.
- a stimulating drug, as caffeine, ephedrine, or esp. methamphetamine or amphetamine.
- a person or thing that is compatible with or typical of one's ability, personality, desires, etc.: My speed is writing postcards on the porch while everyone else is tearing around the tennis court.
- success or prosperity.
- We drove down the highway at full speed.
- at the greatest speed possible:We drove down the highway at full speed.
- to the maximum of one's capabilities; with great rapidity:He worked at full speed.
- a new firm not yet up to speed.
- operating at full or optimum speed.
- functioning or producing at an expected, acceptable, or competitive level; up to par:a new firm not yet up to speed.
- to promote the success of (an affair, undertaking, etc.); further, forward, or expedite.
- to direct (the steps, course, way, etc.) with speed.
- to increase the rate of speed of (usually fol. by up): to speed up industrial production.
- to bring to a particular speed, as a machine.
- to cause to move, go, or proceed with speed.
- to expedite the going of: to speed the parting guest.
- to cause to succeed or prosper.
- to move, go, pass, or proceed with speed or rapidity.
- to drive a vehicle at a rate that exceeds the legally established maximum: He was arrested for speeding.
- to increase the rate of speed or progress (usually fol. by up).
- to get on or fare in a specified or particular manner.
- to succeed or prosper.
- speed (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.