special: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (spesh'ul), [key]
- of a distinct or particular kind or character: a special kind of key.
- being a particular one; particular, individual, or certain: You'd better call the special number.
- pertaining or peculiar to a particular person, thing, instance, etc.; distinctive; unique: the special features of a plan.
- having a specific or particular function, purpose, etc.: a special messenger.
- distinguished or different from what is ordinary or usual: a special occasion; to fix something special.
- extraordinary; exceptional, as in amount or degree; especial: special importance.
- being such in an exceptional degree; particularly valued: a special friend.
- a special person or thing.
- a train used for a particular purpose, occasion, or the like.
- a special edition of a newspaper.
- a spotlight reserved for a particular area, property, actor, etc.: Give me the coffin special.
- a temporary, arbitrary reduction in the price of regularly stocked goods, esp. food; a particularly worthwhile offer or price: The special this week is on sirloin steaks.
- a single program not forming part of a regular series.
- special (Thesaurus)