sow: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sō), [key]
— v., sowed, sown sowed, sow•ing.
- to scatter (seed) over land, earth, etc., for growth; plant.
- to plant seed for: to sow a crop.
- to scatter seed over (land, earth, etc.) for the purpose of growth.
- to implant, introduce, or promulgate; seek to propagate or extend; disseminate: to sow distrust or dissension.
- to strew or sprinkle with anything.
- to sow seed, as for the production of a crop.
Pronunciation: (sou), [key]
- an adult female swine.
- the adult female of various other animals, as the bear.
- a large oblong mass of iron that has solidified in the common channel through which the molten metal flows to the smaller channels in which the pigs solidify.
- the common channel itself.
- a basin holding any of certain molten nonferrous metals to be cast.
- sow (Thesaurus)