society: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (su-sī'i-tē), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -ties,
- an organized group of persons associated together for religious, benevolent, cultural, scientific, political, patriotic, or other purposes.
- a body of individuals living as members of a community; community.
- the body of human beings generally, associated or viewed as members of a community: the evolution of human society.
- a highly structured system of human organization for large-scale community living that normally furnishes protection, continuity, security, and a national identity for its members: American society.
- such a system characterized by its dominant economic class or form: middle-class society; industrial society.
- those with whom one has companionship.
- companionship; company: to enjoy one's society.
- the social life of wealthy, prominent, or fashionable persons.
- the social class that comprises such persons.
- the condition of those living in companionship with others, or in a community, rather than in isolation.
- a closely integrated group of social organisms of the same species exhibiting division of labor.
- an ecclesiastical society.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of elegant society: a society photographer.
- society (Thesaurus)