slough: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (slou for 1, 2, 4 sl&oomacr for 3), [key]
- an area of soft, muddy ground; swamp or swamplike region.
- a hole full of mire, as in a road.
- and Canadian. a marshy or reedy pool, pond, inlet, backwater, or the like.
- a condition of degradation, despair, or helplessness.
Pronunciation: (sluf), [key]
- the outer layer of the skin of a snake, which is cast off periodically.
- a mass or layer of dead tissue separated from the surrounding or underlying tissue.
- anything that is shed or cast off.
- a discard.
- to be or become shed or cast off, as the slough of a snake.
- to cast off a slough.
- to separate from the sound flesh, as a slough.
- to discard a card or cards.
- to dispose or get rid of; cast (often fol. by off): to slough off a bad habit.
- to shed as or like a slough.
- to discard (cards).
- to treat as slight or trivial: to slough over a friend's mistake.
- slough (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.