Meaning of singular
Pronunciation: (sing'gyu-lur), [key]
- extraordinary; remarkable; exceptional: a singular success.
- unusual or strange; odd; different: singular behavior.
- being the only one of its kind; distinctive; unique: a singular example.
- separate; individual.
- noting or pertaining to a member of the category of number found in many languages that indicates that a word form has one referent or denotes one person, place, thing, or instance, as English boy and thing, which are singular nouns, or goes, a singular form of the verb go. Cf.(def. 4),(def. 4).
- of or pertaining to something individual, specific, or not general.
- (of a proposition) containing no quantifiers, as “Socrates was mortal.”
- of or pertaining to a linear transformation from a vector space to itself that is not one-to-one.
- of or pertaining to a matrix having a determinant equal to zero.
- singular (Thesaurus)