Meaning of shave
Pronunciation: (shāv), [key]
— v., n. shaved, shaved shav•en, shav•ing,
- to remove a growth of beard with a razor.
- to remove hair from (the face, legs, etc.) by cutting it off close to the skin with a razor.
- to cut off (hair, esp. the beard) close to the skin with a razor (often fol. by off or away).
- to cut or scrape away the surface of with a sharp-edged tool: to shave hides in preparing leather.
- to reduce to shavings or thin slices: to shave wood.
- to cut or trim closely: to shave a lawn.
- to scrape, graze, or come very near to: The car just shaved the garage door.
- to purchase (a note) at a rate of discount greater than is legal or customary.
- to reduce or deduct from: The store shaved the price of winter suits in the spring.
- the act, process, or an instance of shaving or being shaved.
- a thin slice; shaving.
- any of various tools for shaving, scraping, removing thin slices, etc.
- shave (Thesaurus)