Meaning of serial
Pronunciation: (sēr'ē-ul), [key]
- anything published, broadcast, etc., in short installments at regular intervals, as a novel appearing in successive issues of a magazine.
- a publication in any medium issued in successive parts bearing numerical or chronological designation and intended to be continued indefinitely.
- published in installments or successive parts: a serial story.
- pertaining to such publication.
- of, pertaining to, consisting of, or occurring in a series rather than simultaneously: Some societies condemn both polygamy and serial marriages.
- effecting or producing a series; sequential: The police think a serial killer is responsible for five homicides in this city last month.
- of or pertaining to the apparent or actual performance of data-processing operations one at a time (distinguished from parallel).
- of or pertaining to the transmission or processing of each part of a whole in sequence, as each bit of a byte or each byte of a computer word (distinguished from parallel).
- of, pertaining to, or composed in serial technique.
- serial (Thesaurus)