season: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sē'zun), [key]
- one of the four periods of the year (spring, summer, autumn, and winter), beginning astronomically at an equinox or solstice, but geographically at different dates in different climates.
- a period of the year characterized by particular conditions of weather, temperature, etc.: the rainy season.
- a period of the year when something is best or available: the oyster season.
- a period of the year marked by certain conditions, activities, etc.: baseball season.
- a period of the year immediately before and after a special holiday or occasion: the Christmas season.
- a 162-game season.
- a period with reference to the total number of games to be played by a team:a 162-game season.
- a period with reference to the won-lost record of a team after it has completed its schedule:a .700 season.
- any period or time: in the season of my youth.
- a suitable, proper, fitting, or right time: This is not the season for frivolity.
- for a time, esp. a short time: He lived in Paris for a season.
- in enough time; sufficiently early: Applicants will be notified of our decision in good season.
- Asparagus is now in season.
- in the time or state for use, eating, etc.:Asparagus is now in season.
- in the period regulated by law, as for hunting and fishing.
- at the right time; opportunely.
- (of an animal, esp. female) in a state of readiness for mating; in heat.
- in good season.
- regardless of time or season; at all times: Misfortunes plague this family in season and out of season.
- not in season: The price is so high because lilacs are out of season now.
- to heighten or improve the flavor of (food) by adding condiments, spices, herbs, or the like.
- to give relish or a certain character to: conversation seasoned with wit.
- to mature, ripen, or condition by exposure to suitable conditions or treatment: a writer seasoned by experience.
- to dry or otherwise treat (lumber) so as to harden and render immune to shrinkage, warpage, etc.
- to accustom or harden: troops seasoned by battle.
- to become seasoned, matured, hardened, or the like.
- season (Thesaurus)