scuttle: Meaning and Definition of
- a deep bucket for carrying coal.
- a broad, shallow basket.
— v., n. -tled, -tling,
- to run with quick, hasty steps; scurry.
- a quick pace.
- a short, hurried run.
— n., v., -tled, -tling.
- a small hatch or port in the deck, side, or bottom of a vessel.
- a cover for this.
- a small hatchlike opening in a roof or ceiling.
- to sink (a vessel) deliberately by opening seacocks or making openings in the bottom.
- to abandon, withdraw from, or cause to be abandoned or destroyed (as plans, hopes, rumors, etc.).
- scuttle (Thesaurus)