scalp: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (skalp), [key]
- the integument of the upper part of the head, usually including the associated subcutaneous structures.
- a part of this integument with the accompanying hair, severed from the head of an enemy as a sign of victory, as by some North American Indians and others during the colonial and frontier periods in the U.S.
- any token of victory.
- the integument on the top of the head of an animal.
- a small profit made in quick buying and selling.
- to cut or tear the scalp from.
- to resell (tickets, merchandise, etc.) at higher than the official rates.
- to buy and sell (stocks) so as to make small quick profits.
- to plane down the surfaces of (an ingot, billet, or slab).
- to scalp tickets, stocks, or the like.
- scalp (Thesaurus)