saloon: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (su-ln'), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- a place for the sale and consumption of alcoholic drinks.
- a room or place for general use for a specific purpose: a dining saloon on a ship.
- a large cabin for the common use of passengers on a passenger vessel.
- (in a tavern or pub) a section of a bar or barroom separated from the public bar and often having more comfortable furnishings and a quieter atmosphere.
- Seesaloon car.
- a drawing room or reception room.