Meaning of safety
Pronunciation: (sāf'tē), [key]
— pl. -ties.
- the state of being safe; freedom from the occurrence or risk of injury, danger, or loss.
- the quality of averting or not causing injury, danger, or loss.
- a contrivance or device to prevent injury or avert danger.
- Also calleda locking or cutoff device that prevents a gun from being fired accidentally.
- the action of keeping safe.
- an act or play in which a player on the offensive team is tackled in his own end zone or downs the ball there, or in which the ball goes out of bounds on a fumble, having last been in bounds in or over the end zone and having last been in the possession of an offensive player. Cf.touchback.
- an award of two points to the opposing team on this play.
- Also calledsafety man.a player on defense who lines up farthest behind the line of scrimmage.
- a base hit, esp. a one-base hit.
- a condom.
- close confinement or custody.
- safety (Thesaurus)