route: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (rt, rout), [key]
— n., v., rout•ed, rout•ing.
- a course, way, or road for passage or travel: What's the shortest route to Boston?
- a customary or regular line of passage or travel: a ship on the North Atlantic route.
- a specific itinerary, round, or number of stops regularly visited by a person in the performance of his or her work or duty: a newspaper route; a mail carrier's route.
- It was a tough assignment, but he went the route.
- to see something through to completion:It was a tough assignment, but he went the route.
- Baseball.to pitch the complete game:The heat and humidity were intolerable, but the pitcher managed to go the route.
- to fix the route of: to route a tour.
- to send or forward by a particular route: to route mail to its proper destination.
- route (Thesaurus)