Meaning of revolution
Pronunciation: (rev"u-l'shun), [key]
- an overthrow or repudiation and the thorough replacement of an established government or political system by the people governed.
- a radical and pervasive change in society and the social structure, esp. one made suddenly and often accompanied by violence. Cf.
- a sudden, complete or marked change in something: the present revolution in church architecture.
- a procedure or course, as if in a circuit, back to a starting point.
- a single turn of this kind.
- a turning round or rotating, as on an axis.
- a moving in a circular or curving course, as about a central point.
- a single cycle in such a course.
- (not in technical use) rotation (def. 2).
- the orbiting of one heavenly body around another.
- a single course of such movement.
- a round or cycle of events in time or a recurring period of time.
- a time of worldwide orogeny and mountain-building.
- revolution (Thesaurus)