resistance: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ri-zis'tuns), [key]
- the act or power of resisting, opposing, or withstanding.
- the opposition offered by one thing, force, etc., to another.
- Also calledohmic resistance.a property of a conductor by virtue of which the passage of current is opposed, causing electric energy to be transformed into heat: equal to the voltage across the conductor divided by the current flowing in the conductor: usually measured in ohms. Abbr.: R
- a conductor or coil offering such opposition; resistor.
- opposition to an attempt to bring repressed thoughts or feelings into consciousness.
- (often cap.) an underground organization composed of groups of private individuals working as an opposition force in a conquered country to overthrow the occupying power, usually by acts of sabotage, guerrilla warfare, etc.: the resistance during the German occupation in World War II.
- resistance (Thesaurus)