resist: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ri-zist'), [key]
- to withstand, strive against, or oppose: to resist infection; to resist temptation.
- to withstand the action or effect of: to resist spoilage.
- to refrain or abstain from, esp. with difficulty or reluctance: They couldn't resist the chocolates.
- to make a stand or make efforts in opposition; act in opposition; offer resistance.
- a substance that prevents or inhibits some effect from taking place, as a coating on a surface of a metallic printing plate that prevents or inhibits corrosion of the metal by acid.
- a chemically inert substance used in resist printing.
- resist (Thesaurus)