Meaning of representative
Pronunciation: (rep"ri-zen'tu-tiv), [key]
- a person or thing that represents another or others.
- an agent or deputy: a legal representative.
- a person who represents a constituency or community in a legislative body, esp. a member of the U.S. House of Representatives or a lower house in certain state legislatures.
- a typical example or specimen of a group, quality, or kind.
- serving to represent; representing.
- standing or acting for another or others.
- made up of representatives: a representative assembly.
- of or pertaining to a system of governance by chosen representatives, usually elected from among a large group: representative government.
- exemplifying a group or kind; typical: a representative selection of Elizabethan plays.
- corresponding to or replacing some other species or the like, as in a different locality.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of representationalism.
- pertaining to or of the nature of a mental image or representation.
- representative (Thesaurus)