Meaning of referee
Pronunciation: (ref"u-rē'), [key]
— n., v., -eed, -ee•ing.
- one to whom something is referred, esp. for decision or settlement; arbitrator.
- (in certain games and sports) a judge having functions fixed by the rules of the game or sport; umpire.
- an authority who evaluates scientific, technical, or scholarly papers, grant proposals, or the like for the publication or funding institution to which they have been submitted.
- a person selected by a court to take testimony in a case and return it to the court with recommendations as to the decision.
- to preside over as referee; act as referee in.
- to act as referee.
- referee (Thesaurus)