Meaning of recognition
Pronunciation: (rek"ug-nish'un), [key]
- an act of recognizing or the state of being recognized.
- the identification of something as having been previously seen, heard, known, etc.
- the perception of something as existing or true; realization.
- the acknowledgment of something as valid or as entitled to consideration: the recognition of a claim.
- the acknowledgment of achievement, service, merit, etc.
- the expression of this in the form of some token of appreciation: This promotion constitutes our recognition of her exceptional ability.
- formal acknowledgment conveying approval or sanction.
- acknowledgment of right to be heard or given attention: The chairman refused recognition to any delegate until order could be restored.
- an official act by which one state acknowledges the existence of another state or government, or of belligerency or insurgency.
- the automated conversion of information, as words or images, into a form that can be processed by a machine, esp. a computer or computerized device. Cf.
- the responsiveness of one substance to another based on the reciprocal fit of a portion of their molecular shapes.
- recognition (Thesaurus)