Synonyms of recognition
- 1. recognition, acknowledgment, acknowledgement, acceptance
- usage: the state or quality of being recognized or acknowledged; "the partners were delighted with the recognition of their work"; "she seems to avoid much in the way of recognition or acknowledgement of feminist work prior to her own"
- 2. recognition, identification, memory, remembering
- usage: the process of recognizing something or someone by remembering; "a politician whose recall of names was as remarkable as his recognition of faces"; "experimental psychologists measure the elapsed time from the onset of the stimulus to its recognition by the observer"
- 3. recognition, credit, approval, commendation
- usage: approval; "give her recognition for trying"; "he was given credit for his work"; "give her credit for trying"
- 4. realization, realisation, recognition, understanding, apprehension, discernment, savvy
- usage: coming to understand something clearly and distinctly; "a growing realization of the risk involved"; "a sudden recognition of the problem he faced"; "increasing recognition that diabetes frequently coexists with other chronic diseases"
- 5. recognition, organic phenomenon
- usage: (biology) the ability of one molecule to attach to another molecule that has a complementary shape; "molecular recognition drives all of biology, for instance, hormone and receptor or antibody-antigen interactions or the organization of molecules into larger biologically active entities"
- 6. recognition, diplomacy, diplomatic negotiations
- usage: the explicit and formal acknowledgement of a government or of the national independence of a country; "territorial disputes were resolved in Guatemala's recognition of Belize in 1991"
- 7. recognition, credence, acceptance
- usage: an acceptance (as of a claim) as true and valid; "the recognition of the Rio Grande as a boundary between Mexico and the United States"
- 8. recognition, appointment, assignment, designation, naming
- usage: designation by the chair granting a person the right to speak in a deliberative body; "he was unable to make his motion because he couldn't get recognition by the chairman"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of recognition (Dictionary)