quaver: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kwā'vur), [key]
- to shake tremulously; quiver or tremble: He stood there quavering with fear.
- to sound, speak, or sing tremulously: Her voice quavered a moment and then she regained control.
- to perform trills in singing or on a musical instrument.
- to utter, say, or sing with a quavering or tremulous voice.
- a quavering or tremulous shake, esp. in the voice.
- a quavering tone or utterance.
- an eighth note. See illus. under
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.