propagate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (prop'u-gāt"), [key]
— v., -gat•ed, -gat•ing.
- to cause (an organism) to multiply by any process of natural reproduction from the parent stock.
- to reproduce (itself, its kind, etc.), as an organism does.
- to transmit (hereditary features or elements) to, or through, offspring.
- to spread (a report, doctrine, practice, etc.) from person to person; disseminate.
- to cause to increase in number or amount.
- to create (an effect) at a distance, as by electromagnetic waves, compression waves, etc., traveling through space or a physical medium; transmit: to propagate sound.
- to multiply by any process of natural reproduction, as organisms; breed.
- to increase in extent, as a structural flaw: The crack will propagate only to this joint.
- (of electromagnetic waves, compression waves, etc.) to travel through space or a physical medium.
- propagate (Thesaurus)