profit: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (prof'it), [key]
- pecuniary gain resulting from the employment of capital in any transaction. Cf.gross profit, net profit.
- the ratio of such pecuniary gain to the amount of capital invested.
- returns, proceeds, or revenue, as from property or investments.
- the monetary surplus left to a producer or employer after deducting wages, rent, cost of raw materials, etc.: The company works on a small margin of profit.
- advantage; benefit; gain.
- to gain an advantage or benefit: He profited greatly from his schooling.
- to make a profit.
- to take advantage: to profit from the weaknesses of others.
- to be of service or benefit.
- to make progress.
- to be of advantage or profit to: Nothing profits one so much as a sound education.
- profit (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.