Meaning of profession
Pronunciation: (pru-fesh'un), [key]
- a vocation requiring knowledge of some department of learning or science:Cf. the profession of teaching.
- any vocation or business.
- the body of persons engaged in an occupation or calling: to be respected by the medical profession.
- the act of professing; avowal; a declaration, whether true or false: professions of dedication.
- the declaration of belief in or acceptance of religion or a faith: the profession of Christianity.
- a religion or faith professed.
- the declaration made on entering into membership of a church or religious order.
- profession (Thesaurus)