prayer: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (prâr), [key]
- a devout petition to God or an object of worship.
- a spiritual communion with God or an object of worship, as in supplication, thanksgiving, adoration, or confession.
- the act or practice of praying to God or an object of worship.
- a formula or sequence of words used in or appointed for praying: the Lord's Prayer.
- a religious observance, either public or private, consisting wholly or mainly of prayer.
- that which is prayed for.
- a petition; entreaty.
- the section of a bill in equity, or of a petition, that sets forth the complaint or the action desired.
- a negligible hope or chance: Do you think he has a prayer of getting that job?
Pronunciation: (prā'ur), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- a person who prays.