plane: Meaning and Definition of
— n., adj., v., planed, plan•ing.
- a flat or level surface.
- a surface generated by a straight line moving at a constant velocity with respect to a fixed point.
- an area of a two-dimensional surface having determinate extension and spatial direction or position: oblique plane; horizontal plane.
- a level of dignity, character, existence, development, or the like: a high moral plane.
- to take a plane to Dallas.
- an airplane or a hydroplane:to take a plane to Dallas.
- a thin, flat or curved, extended section of an airplane or a hydroplane, affording a supporting surface.
- a longitudinal section through the axis of a column.
- flat or level, as a surface.
- of or pertaining to planes or plane figures.
- to glide or soar.
- (of a boat) to rise partly out of the water when moving at high speed.
- to fly or travel in an airplane: We'll drive to Detroit and plane to Los Angeles.
— n., v., planed, plan•ing.
- any of various woodworking instruments for paring, truing, or smoothing, or for forming moldings, chamfers, rabbets, grooves, etc., by means of an inclined, adjustable blade moved along and against the piece being worked.
- a trowellike tool for smoothing the surface of clay in a brick mold.
- to smooth or dress with or as if with a plane or a planer.
- to remove by or as if by means of a plane (usually fol. by away or off).
- to work with a plane.
- to function as a plane.
- plane (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.