Meaning of pirate
Pronunciation: (pī'rut), [key]
— n., v., -rat•ed, -rat•ing.
- a person who robs or commits illegal violence at sea or on the shores of the sea.
- a ship used by such persons.
- any plunderer, predator, etc.: confidence men, slumlords, and other pirates.
- a person who uses or reproduces the work or invention of another without authorization.
- Also calleda stream that diverts into its own flow the headwaters of another stream, river, etc.
- to commit piracy upon; plunder; rob.
- to take by piracy: to pirate gold.
- to use or reproduce (a book, an invention, etc.) without authorization or legal right: to pirate hit records.
- to take or entice away for one's own use: Our competitor is trying to pirate our best salesman.
- to commit or practice piracy.
- pirate (Thesaurus)