picture: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pik'chur), [key]
? n., v., -tured, -tur•ing.
- a visual representation of a person, object, or scene, as a painting, drawing, photograph, etc.: I carry a picture of my grandchild in my wallet.
- any visible image, however produced: pictures reflected in a pool of water.
- a mental image: a clear picture of how he had looked that day.
- a particular image or reality as portrayed in an account or description; depiction; version.
- a tableau, as in theatrical representation.
- (older use). movies.
- a person, thing, group, or scene regarded as resembling a work of pictorial art in beauty, fineness of appearance, etc.: She was a picture in her new blue dress.
- the image or perfect likeness of someone else: He is the picture of his father.
- a visible or concrete embodiment of some quality or condition: the picture of health.
- a situation or set of circumstances: the economic picture.
- the image on a computer monitor, the viewing screen of a television set, or a motion-picture screen.
- to represent in a picture or pictorially, as by painting or drawing.
- to form a mental picture of; imagine: He couldn't picture himself doing such a thing.
- to depict in words; describe graphically: He pictured Rome so vividly that you half-believed you were there.
- to present or create as a setting; portray: His book pictured the world of the future.
- picture (Thesaurus)