Synonyms of picture
- 1. picture, image, icon, ikon, representation
- usage: a visual representation (of an object or scene or person or abstraction) produced on a surface; "they showed us the pictures of their wedding"; "a movie is a series of images projected so rapidly that the eye integrates them"
- 2. painting, picture, graphic art
- usage: graphic art consisting of an artistic composition made by applying paints to a surface; "a small painting by Picasso"; "he bought the painting as an investment"; "his pictures hang in the Louvre"
- 3. mental picture, picture, impression, image, mental image
- usage: a clear and telling mental image; "he described his mental picture of his assailant"; "he had no clear picture of himself or his world"; "the events left a permanent impression in his mind"
- 4. picture, scene, situation, state of affairs
- usage: a situation treated as an observable object; "the political picture is favorable"; "the religious scene in England has changed in the last century"
- 5. picture, pictorial matter, illustration
- usage: illustrations used to decorate or explain a text; "the dictionary had many pictures"
- 6. movie, film, picture, moving picture, moving-picture show, motion picture, motion-picture show, picture show, pic, flick, show, product, production
- usage: a form of entertainment that enacts a story by sound and a sequence of images giving the illusion of continuous movement; "they went to a movie every Saturday night"; "the film was shot on location"
- 7. video, picture, visual communication
- usage: the visible part of a television transmission; "they could still receive the sound but the picture was gone"
- 8. word picture, word-painting, delineation, depiction, picture, characterization, characterisation, description, verbal description
- usage: a graphic or vivid verbal description; "too often the narrative was interrupted by long word pictures"; "the author gives a depressing picture of life in Poland"; "the pamphlet contained brief characterizations of famous Vermonters"
- 9. picture, typification, exemplification
- usage: a typical example of some state or quality; "the very picture of a modern general"; "she was the picture of despair"
- 10. photograph, photo, exposure, picture, pic, representation
- usage: a representation of a person or scene in the form of a print or transparent slide; recorded by a camera on light-sensitive material
- 1. visualize, visualise, envision, project, fancy, see, figure, picture, image, imagine, conceive of, ideate, envisage
- usage: imagine; conceive of; see in one's mind; "I can't see him on horseback!"; "I can see what will happen"; "I can see a risk in this strategy"
- 2. picture, depict, render, show, represent, interpret
- usage: show in, or as in, a picture; "This scene depicts country life"; "the face of the child is rendered with much tenderness in this painting"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of picture (Dictionary)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.