- 1. picture, image, icon, ikon, representation
- usage: a visual representation (of an object or scene or person or abstraction) produced on a surface; "they showed us the pictures of their wedding"; "a movie is a series of images projected so rapidly that the eye integrates them"
- 2. painting, picture, graphic art
- usage: graphic art consisting of an artistic composition made by applying paints to a surface; "a small painting by Picasso"; "he bought the painting as an investment"; "his pictures hang in the Louvre"
- 3. mental picture, picture, impression, image, mental image
- usage: a clear and telling mental image; "he described his mental picture of his assailant"; "he had no clear picture of himself or his world"; "the events left a permanent impression in his mind"
- 4. picture, scene, situation, state of affairs
- usage: a situation treated as an observable object; "the political picture is favorable"; "the religious scene in England has changed in the last century"
- 5. picture, pictorial matter, illustration
- usage: illustrations used to decorate or explain a text; "the dictionary had many pictures"
- 6. movie, film, picture, moving picture, moving-picture show, motion picture, motion-picture show, picture show, pic, flick, show, product, production
- usage: a form of entertainment that enacts a story by sound and a sequence of images giving the illusion of continuous movement; "they went to a movie every Saturday night"; "the film was shot on location"
- 7. video, picture, visual communication
- usage: the visible part of a television transmission; "they could still receive the sound but the picture was gone"
- 8. word picture, word-painting, delineation, depiction, picture, characterization, characterisation, description, verbal description
- usage: a graphic or vivid verbal description; "too often the narrative was interrupted by long word pictures"; "the author gives a depressing picture of life in Poland"; "the pamphlet contained brief characterizations of famous Vermonters"
- 9. picture, typification, exemplification
- usage: a typical example of some state or quality; "the very picture of a modern general"; "she was the picture of despair"
- 10. photograph, photo, exposure, picture, pic, representation
- usage: a representation of a person or scene in the form of a print or transparent slide; recorded by a camera on light-sensitive material
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. visualize, visualise, envision, project, fancy, see, figure, picture, image, imagine, conceive of, ideate, envisage
- usage: imagine; conceive of; see in one's mind; "I can't see him on horseback!"; "I can see what will happen"; "I can see a risk in this strategy"
- 2. picture, depict, render, show, represent, interpret
- usage: show in, or as in, a picture; "This scene depicts country life"; "the face of the child is rendered with much tenderness in this painting"
All rights reserved.
See also: picture (Dictionary)